Sunday, October 10, 2010

Condemnation as More Details Emerge in Antigay Attacks - NYTimes.com

This is really horrific. I was thinking our discussing of intolerance last week and how NYC is probably the most tolerant city. Sadly, as this occurrence illustrates, homophobia is raging and violent. But it is worth considering why men react with such violence when they encounter homosexual men? It seems that certain people suffer from delusions of grandeur which makes them think they have the right to "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" yet they can deny that right to other people on the basis of their gender, race, sexuality, etc.

Condemnation as More Details Emerge in Antigay Attacks - NYTimes.com

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Im shocked . I cant believe people can be so cruel. I feel that being gay or anything out of what one can consider traditionally normal Some people can't accept the fact that everyone is different. I hope these guys are used as examples so that any future anti gay or racist act of violence can be prevented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's really scary to think that in today's day and age, especially in U.S., hate crimes take place and that we have to actually have a law against hate crimes. Isn't it basic human decency to respect life and well-being of others? And just to bring this back to our class theme-masculinities- such behavior on the part of these men reinforces all the negative stereotypes about straight men. These men's behavior suggests that men are violent and homophobic. That's pretty damn offensive to all men, if you ask me. I hope they are brought to justice.

    ReplyDelete