Thursday, May 5, 2011

Do you notice anything unconvetional about this J. Crew ad?

PHOTO: A new ad for JCrew shows the company's president painting her son's toenails pink.

7 comments:

  1. Why is she painting her son's toenails? ... Sometimes my 3 yr old nephew is curious about nail polish and wants to try it on when he sees me painting my toenails for example, which is normal because children are curious by nature. But this child looks a bit older, If i was his mom i would tell him that that is not the norm for little boys, painting nails is a gal's thing. I wouldn't want to confuse my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toe nails is definetly a no no. This needs to be fixed (lol). But I do remember being curious about my own mom's and sister's makeup stuff and they had to explain to me that was not for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this picture (I do realize she is painting her sons toenails)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nataly- what will the boy be confused about if his mother paints his toenails pink? Don't boys in high school and rock stars paint their nails? Don't men get manicures and pedicures?

    Deshawn- Why does "this [need] to be fixed"? Male movie stars and newscasters wear make up, don't they? Aren't men encourages to care for their appearance with products(lotions, moisturizes) and treatments(manicures, pedicures, facials)?

    Jonathan-while I agree it is not wrong to paint your son's toenails pink, it is unconventional. This ad caused a bit of a stir and J.Crew refused to comment on it. Do you think J. Crew is trying to make a statement about...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jonathan, I see nothing wrong with boys or adult men getting there "nails did" its freedom of expression and one can do to ones body whatever they want. Just because someone painted their nails or had someone paint it for them a certain color does not mean they are going to be Transgendered,Gay or even psychologically disturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it's only unconventional because the majority of people are not doing it. If men all around the country started wearing dresses and it became the "norm" the unconventional would be those people wearing jeans. But honestly I have no idea what statement they are trying to make, only wild guesses.

    ReplyDelete