Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nov. 15th Debate- Are men or women hurt more by double standards?

Please view our debate from Nov. 15 by clicking on the links below. Then cast your vote for the group-women or men- by commenting on this post. Be sure to explain why you think the group- women or men- should be considered the winner of the debate. Your vote should be based on the group's arguments, the group's use of supporting evidence from Lara's and Bordo's readings  and the group's teamwork.

10 comments:

  1. OMG well i give the other side points for trying to stick with it even if i lashed out on them but i think that the females side did a bit better job at debating. i vote females side should win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The debate was very interesting and both groups had important points about the difficult situations that men and women should live and how these situations are affect the lifestyle of each one. However, I think the group who represented the females supported a little better the evidence from Lara and Bordo's reading. For instance, the reading Gentleman or Beast? the double blind of masculinity refers: "For these (well meaning) workshops are clearly still imagining women as the gatekeepers of male desire, tamers of the beast, domesticators, while continuing to view men as primitive animals who left to their own devices, would naturally plunder everything in sight." Bordo (245).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The debate goes to the women we had more points then the men group and they didn't even do their Bordo reading. Thanks for making us look good =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the group that suggested women get hurt more than man do in the double-bind, came aross with credible information concerning the way in which women are perceived as sluts if they are seeing talking to different guys in a short span of time or being battered by their significant other during a domestic dispute. on the contrary, i think miguel made a good point as he refered to men being perceived as confused individuals when they are guessing what to do when girls give off mixed signals and asked to differentiate between welcoming gestures and uwanting sexual advances. As a result of my observation, I wish I could pick both groups, but I would have to pick jacky's group because she was constantly debating without swaying away from her arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As mentioned by many of my peers the females group throughout the debate where able to back up things they were talking about. At times the female side made such strong points that the male side didnt have a rebuddle. Both teams did they best to defend there side and use the readings as well as other worldwide factors to make arguments but I'd have to vote in favor for the womens side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of you make a compelling argument for the group which in the debate represented the women. So would you all agree that in the end, women are in fact more hurt by double standards? And does this mean that men simultaneously enjoy more privileges as well as ensure that certain stereotypes (i.e. women are sluts, women are weak, women while flirting send mixed messages) remain in place to keep women in a more disadvantaged position?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe the group that argued that women get hurt more should win because they put out more good agruements. With every agurement thrown at them, they just kept on coming back with support from the readings. Now do I agree, I would say yes.Both men and women are hurt by double standards but men have more privileges as women have more disadvantages. I think men enjoy their privileges because just having them feels good.And ensuring that certain stereotypes keep women in a disadvantaged position is the reason why women get hurt more. I think its always been like that and in the end men just learned how to put up with the situation being a man that they are. Sometimes you just got to be man and deal with things thrown at you. I could be mistaken but thats what I think

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I would like to say the guys side had the better argument, the woman side had more facts and were able to explain every situation better. To be fair though, this was kind of a one sided argument. Men might get hurt due to their masculinity, but we cannot prove it, unlike woman who face their disadvantages on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i believe the mens group could of won with more support from teamatees and support from the class readings. Yet honestly i feel men will always have the disadvantages . I better start seeing all the ladies picking up the tabs at the bar with all the comotion on women not being equal bla bla bla..

    ReplyDelete