Friday, September 17, 2010

First Blog Post or response to Deutsch's Male Privilege List

Today we discussed few items from Deutsch's Male Privilege list. The first one we mentioned was item #4.  which reads "If I fail in my job or career, I can feel sure this won’t be seen as a black mark against my entire sex’s capabilities". This is just one of the privileges men, or particularly "white, males, from upper economic class, able bodied, straight" as Deutsch's points out, enjoy but to not recognize. Similarly item 11, which reads " If I have children and provide primary care for them, I’ll be praised for extraordinary parenting if I’m even marginally competent," points to the fact that commonly men are not expected to pitch in when it comes to child rearing. But this of course is detrimental to father-children relationship. 


Our first blog post, which you should have completed today in class, required that you select one privilege from Deutsch's list and comment on it. You may discuss whether you agree or disagree that the privilege, in fact, privileges men. Also you may comment on a privilege which you find to be in fact a burden to men and masculinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment